Dog Rescue Centers
Finding Reputable Dog Rescue Centers
So you have decided to adopt a dog. That’s great, but how do you know if the rescue is reputable? Just like breeders, there are good ones, great ones and some that really should not be in the industry.
Most dog rescue centres are in the reputable category, but it is a good idea to give it some thought. The dog you adopt will be with you for many years so adopting from a reputable source helps you to rescue a dog that is in good health and has a good temperament.
The list that follows is a few things to look out for when deciding to adopt a pet from a rescue
- There should be an application and screening process in place. This process ensures that you are well suited for the dog and the dog is well suited for your home.
- There should be a contract between you as the adopter and the rescue
- The rescue should insist that if you must give the dog up that you contact them first. Even if you think you have found a suitable home. This is to protect the dog.
- The rescue should be able to provide references from the local SPCA / Humane Society / City pound / and the local kennel clubs
- In most cases the rescue should be able to give you a detailed health history of the dog including veterinary check ups and vaccinations
- The dog should have been at the rescue, and/or in foster care, long enough for its temperament to be observed
- The dog should be fixed before it is adopted. This helps to prevent the dog from ending up in a puppy mill or in the hands of a backyard breeder.
- Most reputable shelters are registered as non profit charitable organizations
- The rescue should charge a fee to recoup some of their veterinary costs and to ensure that you are taking the adoption seriously
- You should have an opportunity to visit where the dog is kept. Keep an eye out for cleanliness. Dog Rescue Centers that are not well kept could be a sign that the dogs are not well cared for.
If you keep these tips in mind you should be able to tell quite easily if the rescue is legitimate or not. If you adopt from a reputable dog rescue centre you can be confident that your dog will be a good match for you.
Go to the Dog Rescue page from this Dog Rescue Centers page
Click here to go to Adopt a pet You Will Love Home page for more pet adoption tips